Friday, April 20, 2012

Going, going, gone...

It's been awhile since my last post *hanging my head in shame* SORRY!  I've been super busy with OU, with the girls, and working a little on myself.  I was going to wait and do a post on this a little later but so many people have asked and so many people have said that I've inspired them to take action and make a change.  ME?!?!  Inspire someone?  Wow!  Well, if that's the case I would love to share and inspire more.

Every year around New Year's you start seeing all those commercials for weight loss.  Jenny Craig, Atkins, Weight Watchers, etc, etc...They are always on and every where you turn they promise you results.  WW really caught my eye this year with Jennifer Hudson as their spokesperson.  I've always imagined dieting places were for really, really obese people.  She was big but not HUGE, kind of like me.

Doesn't she look absolutely amazing??  I've always thought she was beautiful but she's is just drop dead gorgeous now.  I thought to myself, if she can do it so can I!  She has SUCH a busy schedule and like me she loooooves food.  We have so much in common...Oh, wait I can't sing like her ;)  I WISH!
So two weeks after our trip to Seattle I headed to my first WW meeting.  It's been 14 weeks and I've lost a total of 22.4 pounds!  2 on my own the first week and the 20.4 while on the Weight Watchers Points Plus plan.  I've been wanting to keep a journal each week on this blog but honestly I never ever in a million years thought I could do this. Best of all, it WAS easy!  I eat so much healthier, better portions, and I am now within my BMI!!

Here's a little before and after...

The first picture was taken October 2010.  It's a little old but a year and half after having Emily and I had not lost the baby weight.  In fact I had gained.  A year later it was still there and then some.  I had to do something, stat!
The middle picture and the last picture was from about 2 weeks ago.  I went shopping for the first time for pants since the weight loss and it was a total shock.  I had not kept track of inches, just pounds and I knew my pants were loose so I had just been wearing sundresses (you can do that here in Texas).  Walked into the dressing room feeling very anxious because I seriously thought the clothes I brought in with me were going to be very tight.  Guess what?  This girl walked out with size 4's!!!  I've gone from a 10 (Oh my gosh, did I really just admit that?) To a size 4!  and in just a little over 4 months!

I haven't been this size since freshmen year of college.  Granted, my weight was distributed a little differently at that time but I am not complaining.

I've had a lot of friends ask about the program and how I did it.  Thought I'd just post a few here.

Q: So did you lose a lot at first and is it getting harder to lose now?
A: I do feel like it was a little easier at first but it really hasn't gotten more difficult, in fact it's easier in that I don't have to think as hard about making the right food choices.  I can walk into any restaurant and know pretty easily what is the healthier choice on a menu.  The weight is coming off a little slower now but I'd say I've average about 1.5 pounds consistently every week.  The larger you are the quicker your weight will come off, but don't be discouraged when other WW members lose 7 pounds the first week and you only lose 1.5 or 2.  Slow and steady is GOOD!

Q: What do you normally eat now?
A: For breakfast I usually have a Hungry Girl Egg Mug.  If you don't know who HG is then check her out!!  She does lots of cool stuff with food, remakes fast food recipes, and has TONS (and I mean TONS) of great recipes.  She also has grocery lists of the good stuff that you should be buying.  HG egg muds are basically egg beaters (which are egg whites) and a laughing cow light cheese.  Sometimes   I will add a few links of turkey sausage, turkey bacon, fruit, a piece of lo calorie toast.  Gone are the days of biscuits and gravy.  

Lunch is usually a small sandwich, low cal wrap, soup, salad.  I started out buying those lean cuisine meals...no thanks.  They are okay in a pinch and I think they are good for those starting out really wanting to know exactly how many points/calories they are eating, but once you get good at figuring that stuff out branch out and eat something else.  They are usually high in sodium and quite frankly you really don't get much food for the amount of points.

Dinner is a little more varied.  I love to cook for my family.  Sometimes I do cook them something different because I want to try making a new recipe.  Yes, even if I can't eat it.  That's how much I like to cook and feed others.  But a lot of times we've been eating the same things and my husband has actually quite liked everything I've made.  I use a lot of recipes from Gina at Skinnytaste.com.  She has all the nutritional info calculated out for you and the WW points plus.  Everything I have made of hers has been fabulous!  And she has new recipes every week.  

Q: What about smoothies and shakes?
A:  I did try green smoothies.  A whole week of them in fact.  That was my lowest week of weight loss.  Why?  Well, I think I consumed way too much sugar for me.  Putting half a banana, an apple blueberries, strawberries, mangoes, kiwi, and then the spinach in a green smoothie was too much sugar!  For me.  Everyone is different so try what works for you.  Since this didn't work me, I quit doing that.  It's not that I won't have a smoothie every now and then.  I love green smoothies!  But you just have to figure out what your body can and can not take.

Q: What are some of your favorite food products you have found?
A:  Oh I LOVE talking about food!  Here's my list
Egg Beaters
Laughing Cow Light Cheese Wedges
Jimmy Dean Turkey Links
Almond Milk (I know, this was VERY scary change for me but it's okay in smoothies and with cereal. I buy unsweetened.  It save on SOOO many calories, even compared to skim milk)
Hebrew National 99% fat free hot dogs. (have you ever tried a turkey dog? Gross! These beef dogs are actually good!)
La Tortilla Factory Low Carb tortillas (HUGE tortillas that aren't flimsy and only 2 points for the WHOLE thing)
Apples
Miracle Rice and Shiritake Noodles (fantastic substitutes for when you crave those carbs but your body just can't handle them.  The texture is different but trust me when you cook it right you don't miss pasta!)
Any low cal breads. Did you know some breads are 150 calories and some are 35??  
Weight Watchers crisps (you buy these at the meeting locations.  I am a chip-a-holic and these satisfy that craving)
Green Giant Broccoli with cheese sauce and cauliflower with cheese sauce (2 1/2 minutes in the microwave and 1 point for the whole tray???)
Fiber One Brownie bars (I know processed sugar but 5 grams of fiber in a little bar for 2 points, just when you need a chocolate fix)
Popcorn.  Always my true love and always will be.  I sprinkle on a little Parmesan or this yeast that I read about from the health food store.  Or just a little salt.  (More about that later if anyone is interested.)

Q: Are you done losing?
A: No.  My goal is to lose 12 more.  Trust me when I say I need to.  I just crossed over into the healthy BMI range so 12 more will be good for me.  After that I plan on really working to maintain my new weight and continue with portion control and healthier eating.
So that's a lot of words for me but I know a lot of people have been curious.  I hope that if you have been thinking about a program you might consider WW.  I am not a spokesperson and no endorsements here but I can tell you that it has changed my life and this is a true lifestyle change, not a diet.  Find what works for you.  I will be sharing more often, update my weekly loss and any really good recipe I try.  Drop me a line if you have any questions! 








4 comments: