Monday, February 13, 2012

This weekend we took a little drive over to San Antonio.  As with all road trips I am a little obsessed with the thought of what are we going to eat??  I hate stopping at gas stations for junk (you know the candy bars, bags of cheetohs, candy, etc.) or having to pull over at a Mickey D's and your choice is fried chicken nuggets or a sad looking burger that costs you a days worth of calories.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a health nut who doesn't appreciate a little McNugget every now and then but eating like that on road trips can just "mess you up" for the day.  I decided to go ahead and pack some bento boxes for the girls the night before so they'd have a big choice of things to eat while we drove.  I thought I'd share to give others some ideas of what might be some good traveling foods.

This first box was Izzy's.  I went ahead and labeled everything.  I promise those are carrots and not cheese puffs.  The banana chocolate chip muffins recipe is from skinnytaste.com.  I took Gina's chocolate chocolate chip banana muffin recipe, and omitted the cocoa powder and glaze, and made them mini sized.  The chocolate marshmallows are between the size of a large one and mini ones and are new from Kraft.  I thought the girls would love them but apparently they aren't quite as tempting as they look.  Maybe if I made them into rice krispy treats?   The turkey pepperoni with cream cheese bites are made from taking turkey pepperoni and spreading about half a teaspoon of low fat cream cheese and folding it over like a taco.  I wasn't sure if Izzy would like those but they were a hit which means I can add them to her list of lunch items.


Emily had a similar box but a smaller version.  She threw a fit over the fact that I snuck a piece of cheese into it. The girl claims to hate cheese and will only eat string cheese, yet loves everything I make when I sneek cheese into it.  You just can't say it's cheese!  She also got a cereal bar which I thought would make for a good breakfast on the run.
One of our stops in San Antonio was having lunch with Clay's grandmother, whom I absolutely love and call grandmommy.  My girls call her great grandmommy or sometime just "Great" for short, very fitting of a spectacular woman.  
Great has the most beautiful soul and is smarter and sharper than anyone you will ever meet.



Clay will probably hate me forever for putting this photo out there, he always does whenever I share a photo of him on the internet, but here he is with his sweet grandmother.

And here I am.  Her mink is fabulous isn't it?  Looking good Great!
Don't know what keeps your kids busy at restaurants but our Leapster Explorer sure has helped us out a lot recently.  This restaurant even had Etch a Sketch's for their tiny guests.  How fun!

The last part of out trip was attending a service for a dear friend's mother.  Rather than having a funeral or a memorial service it was called a Celebration of Life.  It is something they believed their mother would have wanted and I have to say it was a perfect tribute to her. After the service the celebration continued with a good spread of food and a wonderfully loud mariachi band.  I could just picture my friends' mother watching from above rejoicing in this celebration and being so joyous that her friends and family were celebrating the wonderful life she had.

Hope you all have a wonderful week!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, now that is a coat! Beautiful photos of everyone. The food looks so yummy too. Sounds like a very nice day.

    ReplyDelete